This BSBMED301 learner guide addresses the competency requirements for medical terminology. This resource provides learners with advanced medical terminology skills for general practice, specialist practice, hospitals and allied health environments.
It is suitable for students in a range of situations, from classroom based learning to distance education learning.
Medical terminology learners will achieve key learning outcomes with this resource, which is written specifically for the Australian medical environment.
This Medical Terminology learner guide is developed as a step-by-step learning guide. Learners are provided with activities to work through in each area. The following features are also contained in the resources:
- Each performance criteria of BSBMED301 is covered in detail, and includes practical activities to ensure competency of learners
- Written for the Australian medical environment, in clear understandable language
- Compares Australian and American spelling of key medical terms
- Includes table of singular and plural medical terms
- Abbreviations and symbols common to the Australian medical environment are included
- Anatomical planes and positions are included to ensure learners in a specialist or radiology environment are competent with key planes and positions
- Each system contains interesting facts to engage students in their learning
- List of helpful websites including medical and health reference sites and online medical dictionaries for student use
- Phonetic spelling addressed in learner guide, and Glossary and Pronunciation Guide for each system of the body. This ensures learners can communicate with other health care workers using medical terms
- Spelling list provided for students to gain competency with spelling relevant medical terms correctly
- This resource meets all the requirements of the nationally recognised training, which can be found by clicking on the following link https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/BSBMED301
An 82-page Glossary and Pronunciation Guide contains:
- Abbreviations glossary
- Medical terms relating to the human body
- Medical terms for normal conditions and problems in the human body
- Medical terms for numbers and quantities
- Medical terms relating to position and direction
- Glossary of word parts and meanings
- Pronunciation guide and spelling list for each system of the human body
The BSBMED301 concise version has condensed chapters for the nervous system, endocrine system, lymphatic system, urinary system and reproductive system. These chapters are theory only and do not contain medical terminology activities for students to perform.
Table of contents for BSBMED301B – Concise Version (click to download pdf of table of contents)